Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Tweaked Powder Room Design


So because we ended up pulling the drywall down it opened up new possibilities for us.  I really like wall paper but it is a lot of pressure to get something that is perfect and then I feel like I'm handcuffed into keeping it forever.

I'm also very tired of spending money at this point.  I have about 20 gallons (I'm not kidding) of paint in the basement and I really only needed a half gallon max so I dug around and wound up with tried and true Revere Pewter.  There aren't many spaces where this color won't work.  This is the same color in the family room so it'll leave the 1st floor looking cohesive.

The next hiccup was the mirror and the light.  We figured as long as we were pulling down the drywall why not rewire the lighting for an overhead rather than a sconce? I prefer sconces but the room is so small that there is almost no sconce that will fit.  I bought an overhead light without taking the mirror into account.  Not so fast.

I love this West Elm mirror that we had in the room before but unfortunately it is 3" deep and the light (and most lights) have less than that in clearance between the light and the wall.  I will definitely repurpose this elsewhere.  Stay tuned.  So I searched high and low for a replacement.


It turns out I didn't need to look any further than my dining room.  I had this round, wood mirror that I scored from Target clearance for under $20 this summer.  The size and the price were right.

So now this is where we're headed and the finish line is in sight!!!

powder room

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, November 15, 2015

One Room Challenge: Room 2, Week 6

Well we didn't finish either room in 6 weeks but at least we're close.  The family room is done but the couch won't be delivered for another couple of weeks.  Probably a blessing in disguise considering my house is covered in a layer of fine spackle dust.  Each time I type 'spackle' my computer wants to autocorrect to 'sparkle.'  Makes me giggle each time. 


I was able to remove the above wall paper in under 20 minutes but unfortunately the walls beneath it were already on its last legs and basically only held up by the dozen or so coats of paint I've put on them.  So we ripped everything down.  



The bad news is that it set us back a week.  The good news is that we were able to upgrade everything in the room (add a fan and an outlet, fix some old wiring, add a new light fixture, etc.).  There is not a single thing from the original room that was kept.  Even the subfloor went.

New drywall was hung, followed by mud, sand repeat for about a week.   I painted the top half of the wall using some leftover Revere Pewter.  


The bottom half gets all the leftover bead board from the porch project that I never showed you the final product on (b/c we honestly never finished it!  Maybe next year).



Sean swapped the ugly dental crown molding with the molding that matches the rest of our house and it was painted out with Benjamin Moore Acadia White.


And now I'm currently in this cycle.  Prime, wall paint, trim paint, ceiling paint.


Of all the places this dog could choose to sleep he chooses the 3'x5' construction zone.  I think we picked the perfect dog for our family.


 I'm hoping one more week and then we can call this room done.  Check out the other participants here (hopefully they're not still painting!).

Follow Me on Pinterest