Thursday, May 9, 2013

Living Room Reveal

So it is 95% complete because we still can't find the crown molding for the door header to match what is already there.  Bummer.  So ignore the lack of crown on the door headers.

In the meantime because I have the patience of a 5 year old I'm going to go ahead and show you the almost finished product.  We love it.  I'd be lying if I said it didn't kick our butts and even required a tetanus shot at one point but in the end it was worth it.  That said I don't ever need to lay a hardwood floor or do a wainscot wall treatment ever again.  Crossed off my DIY bucket list with a Sharpie.


Let's take a step back and look at where we started.  Ridiculous color.  Unfinished, way too formal crown molding, windows that leaked and housed carpenter ants, ruined hardwood floors and terrible lighting.


Then I told you that I was inspired by Linda's gorgeous foyer.  I wanted to make this:


Look like this:

So we busted our butts and came up with this:
 

Sean isn't happy with the L Cap piece at the top and mentioned ripping it out and redoing it.  He was serious.  No friggin' way are we doing any of this process again unless he has found some renovating elfs to come do it for us while we sleep.  In which case I would ask if they had any siblings who also did landscaping.






A gratuitous backside shot of the room.  Still need to figure out the piano placement.


Love me some nail head trim.



I love how much brighter the room feels with all the white woodwork and by swapping the over sized love seat with 2 tailored chairs.  I still need to figure out the window treatments but the old ones work for now.


Pretty chairs.  A mom of 3 boys needs some pretty in her life.


Love this HomeGoods lamp find of my mom's.




Bookshelf styling including some art from each of my super talented parents:






So there you have it.  The living room that kicked our butts.  It wasn't terribly expensive (actually this was a relatively inexpensive makeover) or challenging skill-set wise.  I think what made it so difficult is the number of steps in the process.  Oh, and the dust.  The dust can drive a Type A person insane.

Check back soon and hopefully we can get this last 5% done!

Shared with: Between Naps On The Porch

17 comments:

  1. I can't get over the transformation. You guys are my best students....ever!! This is total perfection. I love the wall color, the furniture, the floors...all of it! What is it about the L-cap that he doesn't like? I have a feeling you may forget the pain, and continue this into your entry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow and wow. Great job lady! That is one hell of a transformation. Linda is the best isn't she? So great to meet ya here. Be sure to swing by my blog to enter a very fab giveaway. TGIF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the process of updating my home....when we bought it three years ago, nothing had been changed since 1993! It's one room at a time! Love seeing your progress! I am posting my before and after pics for my living room soon on my blog Suburban Charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whethere it is 1963 or 1993 don't you just love the process!? Or maybe not so much the process by the end result :)

      Delete
  4. You have a beautiful room! I just hopped over from Linda's blog to check things out. You did a fantastic job. I envy the results, just not the process ;) Happy Mother's day to you too! Now go relax in one of those pretty chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not believe that before and after- you guys did a spectacular job!! It is absolutely gorgeous, from the woodwork to the beautiful styling- I love it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just found you thru linda - LOOKS FANTASTIC - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great Meg. How tall are your ceilings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla! 8'. In my next life I'll have 9' ceilings :)

      Delete
  8. "The patience of a 5 year old". I got that!

    Love your transformation, great job both the craftsmanship and the integration into your room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous woodwork! And a happy Mother's Day!

    Maybe your piano is new... and since you are still figuring out its placement, this it meant to be helpful, and maybe you know it... It is facing the wrong direction :). (Ours was too many years ago, and I didn't find for six months. The piano turner told us! ) It needs to open into the room preferably bouncing off a solid wall, or a partial wall will have to due, because of the many windows. It will sound much better. In other words, the person sitting at the piano should be looking at your painting, and it might take some angling to face the wall if space allows it. Also, move it a bit away from the window or keep the shade closed due to sunlight and temperature changes. It's good practice to keep the lid down when it is not being played , but open it when you have guests. It prevents the lid from warping and cuts down on the dust inside.

    Love the room! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yosh Meg! Is this the paint Brady picked out? It's definitely so much better in every way! Colors which are warm on the eyes always work best on the walls of a sitting room. I've read somewhere that walls signify our mansion's strength while the paint reflects our inner self. That being said, I think dark red is a color too strong to create a relaxing atmosphere. :). -->Christin

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the great thing about light-colored walls; you can put in furniture of different hues and shades and they'd still look pretty. What you did here is simply astonishing. Well, minus the need for a tetanus shot. I wonder what happened, but I'm glad to hear you're alright. Maybe now you'd think about hiring some pros when the job proves a little big for you. But this is an awesome renovation you did here! Give yourself a pat on the back! :)
    Leeanne @ Pro Master

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your living room looks so pretty, it's got some really beautiful details! I've got this linked to my living rooms post too today, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. best Blog and suggestions for 3d Arcgitectural rendering services 3D Architectural Rendering Outsource

    ReplyDelete