Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Week 4 of the One Room Challenge

Week 4 of the 6 Week challenge (check out prior weeks here).

Now it starts getting fun.  Construction is behind us.  This week - drapes and rugs!

I bought the original drapes for this room not long after we laid the hardwood floors a couple years back.  Allesandro panels from Pottery Barn. 

Pottery Barn
I mentioned that I never finalized a paint color because I’d been trying to coordinate with these drapes.  I like them, I really do, but finding a coordinating paint color was damn near impossible.  Then in the middle of the night (literally, I’m crazy like that) the solution came to me.  Remember those silk drapes from my living room that I replaced because at 84” they were too wimpy for the room?  


Well 84” drapes in an 89” ceiling room with 3.5" crown moldings are perfect and the color was way easier to coordinate! They're a similar green but reads much differently in the absence of the yellow.  You can’t beat free!





Now onto the floors...
Life with 2, 3 and 5 year old boys means waking up in the morning is like drinking from a fire hose.  It is zero to sixty in 3 seconds.  I don’t know how they do it but kids wake up bursting with energy and noise.  So for the floors I wanted something cushy on my feet when I get out of bed to make my mornings just a little more pleasant.  The Pottery Barn Hudson shag rug fit the bill. It looks more yellow in this picture than it actually is.  It is off-white in real life.

Pottery Barn
Because the room is large I decided on two 5x8 rugs as opposed to one large rug that would be mostly covered by the bed.  I hemmed and hawed on the price but ended up going for it because I’ve always had really good luck with Pottery Barn rugs.  I traded in my credit card points for gift cards, sold my broken, unused iPhone and linked the purchase to my kids' Upromise account so Pottery Barn deposited 5% of my purchase into their 529 college savings accounts.  You’re welcome kids.  See how I just did that?  Rationalized it down to me thinking it was basically free…when I reality it was not J


Doesn't it look like a mat of mini-marshmallows?  Seriously it feels that way too.


Current review – I’m a big fan (as is the dog).  It is so plush I have been known to face plant on it at the end of the day.  My boys use it as football turf (each rug being a different end zone).  It sheds like a mother but that should stop eventually.

Check out the progress of the other participants here.

14 comments:

  1. Those rugs look super soft. Great reuse of drapes, they look great in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a gorgeous room and the rugs look plush and ever so comfortable! You really cannot beat free..it is amazing what brainwaves hit us in the middle of the night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room is just beautiful! Loving the rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain on those wake up calls each morning!! I love your sconces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a girl after my own heart with the 529 story. College comes faster than you think. I love the free drapes and the two rugs. You are almost done from where I sit. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great call on the drapes and yes, of course the rugs are 100% justified. It's for your kids after all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The free drapes and the rugs cancel each other out. Kind of like a diet coke and large fry. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it great when you are able to reuse something you already have? Makes the purchase of the rugs easier to justify - right? Those rugs do look super soft though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you hate when you can't match something? Never fear cause if you keep brainstorming...like you did then you figure something out:) Love the rugs...PB rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those curtains do look more prefect now in your bedroom and the two 5 x 8's? GENIUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your reasoning for the rug!!! so funny and I love the rug great texture and so pretty. The curtains are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a rug you can really sink your feet into and it looks amazing. The room is coming together!
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those rugs look great. That Upromise thing sounds awesome, I need to look into that.

    ReplyDelete