I built a frame. All by myself. Power tools and all. I don't need a man (finger snaps). Scratch that, yes I do.
I have this print that I bought on Overstock.com. I really like it but it looked unfinished.
So I searched for a frame but because it is 2" thick and an odd size I couldn't find one for less than $100. The art was really cheap (and I'm really cheap about some things) so I wasn't interested in paying that. It is 4 pieces of wood - how hard could it be? Off to Home Depot I went and picked up these oak craft boards (2" x 1/2"). $20. I'm sure I could have figured out a way to pay less but I had about 10 minutes before I had to get the kids off the bus so I was in a hurry and grabbed the first thing that worked. I could have butted the corners and it would have looked fine but I mitered the corners.
Then I conditioned the wood. Don't skip this step - it is super important to help the wood accept the stain. I've been using this same can of pre-stain for about 8 years and as long a it doesn't dry out I'll have it for the rest of my life. Then I stained it using Minwax dark walnut that I've used on every project I've stained in this house. Wear gloves. I didn't and my fingers are still brown.
After letting the wood conditioner sink in for 15 minutes I applied one coat of stain and got the color I was after. If you want to go darker you can continue to add layers. If you want to go lighter you can wipe off the stain quickly after you apply it. And yes that is a silk shantung drape I'm using as a drop cloth. As the most interesting man in the world says, "I don't always DIY canvas frames but when I do I use silk drop cloths."
Then I assembled the frame by applying a bead of gorilla glue (just a dab will do ya or it'll ooze out the sides) and then clamping to dry for about an hour.
Just for added security I added a staple to the corners.
Then add a screw from the inside of the canvas frame to the finished frame itself.
My goal of coordinating the mirror frame to the art was achieved.
Not perfect but the $20 price tag was way better.