Saturday, January 4, 2014

Anthropologie Hack - DIY Zinc Letters


I'm still working on the wall art in the baby boy's room transformation.  He's currently learning his letters and loves pointing out the letters in his name which gave me the idea to use his name in the art.  I love the zinc letters at Antropologie but the $18/letter price tag is a bit silly.  His name is short at 4 letters but $72 is too rich for my blood.

I picked up the 4 letters from Hobby Lobby and a bottle of black craft paint and silver metallic craft paint.  I didn't totally know what I was doing but @ $12 it was worth the risk of it bombing.


Step 1: Paint the fronts and sides of the letters black.


Step 2: After the black paint dries (I waited a half hour) paint over the black with a thin coat of silver metallic paint. While the paint is still wet dab the letters with a cloth to remove paint in some sections and let the black show through.  This gives it the galvanized look.  Work in small sections so that you can wipe it off before it dries.


I think the whole process took me a half hour max.  I'm pretty happy with how they turned out!  I'll mount them with 3M velcro strips once the paint dries completely.


$12 beats $72 any day (I'm an accountant in real life so I can do fancy math like that) and because they're cardboard they're much easier to hang than the real thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment